Tuesday 5 August 2008

GRAMMAR WORKSHEETS

Grammar Worksheets Elementary School

1. To be: affirmative, negative, questions

A. Complete the sentences with ¨to be¨
1. I _____ a girl.
2. My father_____ at work.
3. Alex and Dino _____ my cats.
4. Alex _____ in the garden.
5. Dino _____ on the floor.
6. My red pencil _____ on the floor, too.
7. The other pencils _____ in my pencil case.
8. My mother _____ in the living room.
9. Eli and Rafa _____ good friends.
10. They _____ good at tennis.
11. _____ they in Amsterdam this week?
12. The pupils _____ not at school today.
13. It _____ Monday.
14. I _____ at home.
15. We _____ friends.

B. Make Affirmative Sentences
1. I _____ never happy on a Sunday afternoon.
2. We _____ Scottish.
3. He _____ a pilot.
4. Mayte and Joshua _____ angry.
5. You _____ clever and good-looking.

C. Make Negative Sentences
1. You _____ not Dutch.
2. Gemma _____ at home.
3. Agust and I _____ pleased about it.
4. I _____ not cruel. 5. It _____ good.

D. Questions
1. _____ you from Málaga?
2. _____ Isabel Spanish?
3. _____ we ready to go?
4. _____ he married?
5. _____ you tired?

2. Subject pronouns and possessive adjectives

A. Replace the personal pronouns by possessive adjectives.

1. Where are (you) _____ friends now?
2. Here is a postcard from (I) _____ friend Dees.
3. She lives in England now with (she) _____ family.
4. (He) _____ wife works in Tilburg.
5. (He) _____ company builds websites.

3. Question words

A. Fill in the question words What, Where, Why, When, How to form a question.
1. _____ do you like best?
2. _____ does Manolo get up in the morning?
3. _____ don't you go by bus, Cristina?
4. _____ hobbies does Carlos like?
5. _____ do they go to every week?
6. _____ old are you Sylvia?
7. _____ is Maria's birthday?
8. _____ are my exercise books?
9. _____ are you doing at the moment, Harry?
10. _____ do the Petersons live?


B. Fill in the correct question word.
1 _____ sits next to Dries? Mo.
2 _____ does the boy come from? From Madrid.
3 _____ old are her children? Three and five.
4 _____ is Lola's birthday? In March, I think.
5 _____ much is the shirt? It's twenty euros.
6 _____ is best at playing tennis? Johann
7 _____ are you going? To my parents.
8 _____ is an soda? It's one euro.
9 _____ does the restaurant open? At ten o' clock.
10 _____ can I get some ice cream? At the snack bar.
11 _____ are you going to order? Pasta.
12 _____ are you going to do on Monday? I don't know.
13 _____ has got my sunglasses? I have got them.
14 _____ is your name? Rita.
15 _____ is Helen's party? On Friday.


C. Complete with the correct question word
1 _____ are the potatoes? One dollar.
2 _____ can I do for you? I want two white T-shirts.
3 _____ can I get a newspaper? At Park Street.
4 _____ is your best friend? It's Paul.
5 _____ does Lisa live? In Boston.
6 _____ colour is your new car? It's white.
7 _____ do you collect? Stickers.
8 _____ can help me? I can.
9 _____ about some grapes? No, thanks.
10 _____ was your first word as a baby? Mama.
11 _____ were you born? On March 9th .
12 _____ were you born? In St Maarten.
13 _____ were you last Sunday? I was working.
14 _____ can we have a picnic? I know a nice place near a pond.
15 _____ are you going to take with you? Some sandwiches and a coke.

4. There is / there are

A. Complete the sentences. Use the affirmative of there is / there are.
1. _____ an Italian boy in my class.
2. _____ an internet café opposite our school.
3. _____ five supermarkets in my town.
4. _____ a museum next to the park.
5. _____ some posters in front of the cinema.

B. Complete the sentences. Use the negative of there is / there are.
Example:
There isn’t a flag in my classroom.
1 _____ any shopping centres in this town.
2 _____ any beaches in London.
3 _____ an American café here.
4 _____ a Hollywood in Spain..
5 _____ any rap CDs in this shop.


C. Write questions and short answers. Use there is / there are.
Example
/ any Brazilian footballers in your favourite team? Are there any Brazilian footballers in your favourite team?
Yes, there are.
1. / a skateboard park near here?
___________________________
No, _________________________
2. / a Hollywood in Ireland? ___________________________
Yes, _________________________
3 / any famous football teams in your town?
___________________________ Yes, _________________________ 4 / any interesting places near your house?
___________________________ No, _________________________

5 / an English boy in your class?
___________________________ No, _________________________

5. Have got

A: Write affirmative and negative sentences. Use have got. (Use contracted forms where possible.)
Example:
She / fifteen euros. She’s got fifteen euros. She hasn’t got fifteen euros.
1 They / some new trainers..
____________________
____________________
2 John an I / a great computer game..
____________________
____________________
3 You / a pen.
____________________
____________________

4 Mark / a pet.
____________________
____________________

B. Write questions for the sentences in Exercise A. Then write short answers.
Example:
Has she got fifteen euros?
Yes, she has..
1 ________________ Yes, they _____________
2 __________________
Yes, we ______________
3 _________________ Yes, I _______________
4 _________________ No, he _______________


C. Correct the sentences.

Example: You not has got a magazine.
You haven’t got a magazine.
1 Do you have got a dog?
___________________
2 I hasn’t got any DVDs.
___________________
3 We has got a good TV.
____________________
4 Have got they a mobile phone?
____________________

6. Present simple: affirmative, negative questions, short answers.

A. Complete the sentences. Use the present simple affirmative.
1. I _____ (go) shopping with my brother.
2 We sometimes _____ (use) a dictionary in class.
3 My friends _____ (study) Italian at their school.
4. School _____ (finish) at three o’clock.
5. You _____ (live) near me.
6. He _____ (like) rap music. 7. She _____ (do) her homework .before dinner.
8. We _____ (play) tennis in school on Wednesday afternoon.
9. I _____ (watch) TV in the evening.
10. My mother _____ (teach) art.
B. Make the sentences negative.
Example:
He remembers my name.
He doesn’t remember my name.
1 I study French.
_______________
2 School finishes at two o’clock.
________________ 3 You copy from other students. ________________


4 We think English is easy.
________________ 5 My friends play volleyball.
________________ 6 I watch TV on Saturday morning.
__________________ 7 She speaks Chinese.
___________________ 8 The dog likes cats.
____________________ 9 They listen to pop music.
____________________


C. Write the words in the correct order. Then complete the short answers.
Example:
Students / I.T.? / do / at / Do / your school Do students at your school do I.T..?
Yes, they do.
1 live / at / you / Do / school? _________________ No, _______________ 2 in / students / Do / the canteen? / eat _________________
Yes, _______________ 3 to school / your brother / on Saturday? / Does / go __________________ No, ________________ 4 live / near / Do / your friends / you? __________________ Yes, ________________


5 at / school / finish / Does / three o’clock? ___________________ No, _________________
7. Object pronouns
A. Fill in the right object pronouns.
1. My name is Sue. (Sue)_____ am English. And this is my family.
2. My mum's name is Angie. (Angie)_____ is from Germany.
3. Bob is my dad. (My dad)_____ is a waiter.
4. On the left you can see Simon. (Simon) _____ is my brother.
5. (Sue and Simon) _____ are twins.
6. Our dog is a girl, Judy. (Judy) _____ is two years old.
7. (Sue, Simon, Angie and Bob) _____ live in Canterbury.
8. (Canterbury) _____ is not far from London.

9. My grandparents live in London. (My grandparents) _____ often come and see us.
10. What can _____ tell me about your family?
B. Correct the sentences.
Example:
Chinese is a difficult language. I don’t understand them. Chinese is a difficult language. I don’t understand it.
1 Mrs Smith is strict. I don’t like him.
________________________ 2 Ana isn’t good at maths. I never copy from she.
_________________________ 3 We have a computer at home, but I don’t use me.
_________________________ 4 My teachers are very good. I like they.
_________________________ 5. I’m not happy with the children. They don’t listen to I.
_________________________


8. Word order
Write the words in the correct order.
Example:
Does / go / she / What time / school / to
What time does she go to school?
1. you / When /your / homework / do / do
______________________
2. Simon / go / Who / to /does / school with?
______________________
3. What / teach? / teacher / does / this
______________________
4. like / they / do / English / why
______________________
5. do / grandparents / live?/ Where / your
______________________
6. uncle / do / How often / visit / you / your
______________________


9. Adverbs of frequency
A. Rewrite the sentence putting the adverb given in brackets into its proper position.
Example:
He plays on the computer. (always)
He always plays on the computer.
1. He listens to the radio. (often) ________________________
2. They read a book. (sometimes) _________________________
3. Pete gets angry. (never) _________________________
4. Tom is very friendly. (usually) _________________________ 5. I take sugar in my coffee. (sometimes) _________________________


6. Ramon is hungry. (often) __________________________ 7. My grandmother goes for a walk in the evening. (always) __________________________ 8. Walter helps his father in the kitchen. (usually) __________________________ 9. They watch TV in the afternoon. (never) __________________________ 10. Christine smokes after dinner. (seldom) __________________________
B. Rewrite the sentences and put the adverbs in correctly.
1. He plays golf on Sundays. (sometimes)
________________________
2. The weather is bad in November. (always) ________________________

3. It rains in California. (never)
_________________________
4. We have fish for dinner. (seldom)
__________________________
5. She will see him. (rarely)
__________________________
6. Peter doesn't get up before seven. (usually)
__________________________
7. They do not play tennis on Sundays. (always)
__________________________
8. Mary watches TV. (hardly / ever)
__________________________


C. Rewrite the sentences and put the adverbs in correctly.
I go to school by bus. always
_______________________
I get up at 7. usually
_______________________
I watch TV in the evening. often / frequently
_______________________
I have lunch in a restaurant. sometimes
_______________________
I have breakfast. seldom
_______________________
I arrive late. never
_______________________
I have homework. everyday
_______________________


10. Like, love, hate + ing form
. Look at the table and complete the sentences. love = 4 not like = 2 like = 3 hate = 1
Example: Agustín loves playing (4) computer games. 1. María ___________ (1 / play) computer games. 2. Agustín and María _________ (3 / watch) TV. 3. Agustín ________ (4 / tidy) his room. 4. Agustín and María _______ (2 / get) up.
11. Possessive
Add ´s or ´.
Example:
My uncle daughter. My uncle’s daughter
1. the men families _____________
2. those girls friends _____________
3. her babies toys _____________
4. the people names _____________
5. Heidi and John son _____________


12. Present continuous
A. Write the –ing form of the verbs
Example:
stay staying
1. camp ____________
2. swim ____________
3. travel ____________
4. walk ____________
5. have ____________
6 write ____________
7. cook ____________
8. shop ____________
B. Complete the sentences. Use the present continuous affirmative and negative.
1. He dad and brother _____ (cycle) to the shops.
2. We _____ (not travel) in Japan.
3. I _____ (sunbathe) on the beach.
4. She _____ (not watch) TV.


5. They _____ (not swim) in the sea.
6. Sue _____ (stay) at home today.
C. Write questions using the present continuous. Then complete the short answers.
Example:
your teacher / speak English / at the moment?
Is your teacher speaking English at the moment?
No, he isn’t.
!. your dad / work / today?
____________________
Yes, ____________
2. you / have a good time / on holiday?
____________________
Yes, ____________
3. your mum / cook dinner / now?
____________________
Yes, ____________


4. your friends / play football?
____________________
No, ____________
D. Complete the dialogues
Example:
A I’m reading
B What are you reading?
1. A. I’m going on holiday.
B. Where _____________?
2. A. He’s cooking dinner.
B. What ______________?
3. A. My sister’s going to England.
B. Who _______________?
4. A. We aren’t staying in a hotel.
B. Where ______________?


13. Present continuous and present simple
Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the present continuous or the present simple.
Example: My dad usually cooks (cook) dinner. 1. I ________________ (watch) TV at the moment.
2. My parents _______________ (go) to Italy every year. 3. My sister _____________________ (walk) to school every day. 4. We _______________________ (have) lunch now.
14. Demonstrative pronouns
A. Complete the sentences. Use this and these.
Is this my drink?
1. ________ aren´t my trainers. 2. ________ an interesting museum? 3. ________ are new bicycles.


B. Complete the sentences. Use that and those. That is a big supermarket.
1. Are _____ your books? 2. _______ are her CDs. 3. ______ is a great shop.
15. Present continuous for future use
Complete the sentences.
I _____ (meet) some friends after work.
I _____ (not go) to the party tonight.
___ he _____ (visit) his parents next weekend?
___ he _____ (not come) with us tonight?
16. Countable and uncountable nouns
Are these nouns countable (c) or uncountable (u)?
Example: water (u) 1 fruit ___
2 coconut ___
3 bread ___
4 DVD ___
5 meat ___


6 insect ___
7 snack ___
17. Expressions of quantity
A. Complete the sentences. Use a / an, some and any. Example:
There aren’t any Italian students in my class. 1. I want _____ juice. 2. There’s _____ meat in the dish. 3. Has she got _____ map? 4. Have you got _____ money? 5. He needs _____ snack. 6. It’s _____ Italian pizza. B. Complete the rules. Use a / an, some and any. 1. We use _____ in negative sentences and questions with all nouns. 2. We use _____ in affirmative sentences with all nouns. 3. We use _____, _____ or numbers with countable nouns.


C. Circle the correct words. 1. We´ve got much / a lot of rice.
2. There aren´t much / many people here.
3. My sister eats a lot of / many sweets.
4. There aren´t much / many vegetarians in my school.
5. There aren´t a lot of / much vegetables.
6. I don´t drink much / many juice.
18. Imperatives
A. Make the affirmatives negative, and the negative imperatives affirmative.
Example
Don’t eat my sweets. Eat my sweets. 1. Don’t copy your friend’s homework.
___________________________
2. Tidy your room before dinner.
___________________________


3. Don’t play computer games now.
_________________________
4. Don’t be late.
___________________________
5. Help your mum with the shopping.
___________________________
19. Can
A. Correct the sentences. 1. ´Can you play tennis?´ ´ Yes, I can play.´ ___________________________
2. I can to swim a hundred meters. ___________________________
3. You can make a fire? ___________________________
4. ´Can he cook? ´ No, can’t.´ ___________________________


5. What sports you can play? ___________________________
6. Mark can’t climbs trees. ___________________________
20. Was/were
A.. Complete the sentences. Use the affirmative and negative of was / were. It wasn’t my dad’s birthday on Sunday. It was his birthday on Saturday. 1. They were difficult. They _____ easy. 2. My grandfather _____ a writer. He was a composer. 3. It wasn’t hot in England. It _____ cold and raining. 4. My cousins weren’t at the skateboard park. They _____ at the cinema. 5. Last night I _____ at home. I was at a party at my friend’s house.


B. . Complete the questions. Example:
Was the weather good yesterday? 1. What _____ your first class this morning? 2. _____ her sister at the party? 3. Who _____ his favorite film star? 4. Where _____ you last night? 5. _____ they interested in rap music?
21. There was/there were
Complete the sentences. Use the affirmative (•) and negative (X) of there as / there were.
Example: There wasn’t a canteen at my primary school. (X) 1. _____ a lot of rain in the summer. (X) 2. _____ any good films at the cinema last week. (X) 3. _____ 26 people at Sophie’s party. (•) 4. _____ an English teacher at my primary school. (X) 5. _____ a big celebration for my sister’s wedding. (•)


6. _____ a lot of interesting animals in the pet shop. (•)
22. Past simple regular verbs: affirmative, negative, questions
A. Complete the sentences.
Example: I didn’t watch (not watch) TV last night. 1. On Saturday I _____ (play) computer games with my cousins. 2. My mum _____ (not cook) dinner last night. 3. I _____ (walk) to school because there weren´t any buses. 4. They _____ (not dance) at the party. 5. My brother _____ (travel) to Ireland last summer. B. Write the past simple form of these verbs. practice practiced 1. copy ____________ 2. revise ____________


3. cycle ____________
4. listen ____________ 5. play ____________ 6. like ____________
C. Write the questions in the correct order. Example:
night? / meet / Did / you / them / last / Did you meet them last night?
1. film? / like / you / Did / the / __________________________ 2. you / many / did / ask? / How / people / __________________________ 3. a / have / time ? / they / Did / good / ______________________________ 4. did / weekend? / the / What / do / we / at /
______________________________
5. she / DVD? / Where / that / did / buy / ______________________________


6. party / on / your / go / Saturday? / he / Did / to / ______________________________ 7. did / yesterday? / Who / you / see /
______________________________
D. Correct the sentences. Who do you met on Saturday morning? X Who did you meet on Saturday morning? 1. Did he went to school yesterday? X ___________________________
2. Why did you to go home early? X ___________________________
3. Where you did learn English? X ___________________________
4. Did she works today? X ___________________________
5. What do you did yesterday? X ___________________________


6. Did they last night phone you? X ___________________________
23. Time expressions
A. Write the time expressions last winter last year soon later now at the moment next week yesterday Past Last winter
(1) ________
(2) ________
Present
(3) ________
(4) ________
Future
(5) ________
(6) ________
(7) ________


B. Write the words in the correct order.
Example:
friends / I’m / tomorrow. / meet / going / to / my I’m going to meet my friends tomorrow.
1. winter. / cold / was / very / last / It __________________________
2. shower / She’s / moment. / at / having / a / the __________________________
3. our / visit / next / going / grandmother / We’re / to / week. __________________________ 4. brother / revising / My / for / exam / now. / is / an ___________________________ 5. restaurant / later. / have / a / They’re / to / in / dinner / going ___________________________ 6. go / school / yesterday. / to / didn’t / I ___________________________


24. Past simple: regular and irregular verbs
A. Are these verbs regular (R) or irregular (I)? play R 1. fly ___ 2. use ___ 3. study ___ 4. eat ___ 5. make ___
6. travel ___
7. see ___
B. Write the past simple of the verbs in exercise A. Example:
played 1. ______________ 2. ______________ 3. ______________
4. ______________


5. ______________ 6. ______________ 7. ______________ C. Complete the text. Use the past simple of the verbs. be got up meet have go run drink sleep swim eat Yesterday I got up early – at about seven o’clock. I (1)
_____ a shower and some fruit for breakfast. Then I
(2) _____ to the sports centre. I (3) _____ 500
meters in the swimming pool and then I (4) _____5
kilometers. At lunchtime I (5) _____ my friends in a
café. We (6) _____ some pasta and (7) _____
some juice. After lunch I (8) _____ for a few hours –
I (9) _____ tired !


25. Must
A. Complete the sentences. Use the affirmative (•) and negative (X) of must. Example:
You mustn’t (X) drink cola in the classroom. 1. You _____ (•) listen to the teacher. 2. Students _____ (•) study a lot before their exams. 3. We _____ (X) be cruel to animals. 4. Young children _____ (X) climb trees. 5. I _____ (X) eat snacks before dinner. 6. They _____ (•) go home at nine o’clock. 7. You _____ (X) copy from other students. 8. He _____ (•) tidy his room. B. Rewrite the sentences. Use must or mustn’t. Example:
Don’t be late home after school today. I mustn’t be late home after school today. 1. Don’t stay in bed on Saturday. You ______________________


2. Go to bed at nine o’clock on Sunday. They ______________________
3. Write a letter to you grandmother. I ________________________ 4. Tidy your room before school. He ________________________ 5. Do your homework before dinner. We _______________________ 6. Drink a lot of water at the beach. You ________________________ 7. Don’t talk in the library. We ________________________ 8. Don’t play computer games in the morning. He _________________________


26. Comparative adjectives
A. Write the comparative forms of the adjectives: tall taller 1. fast _____________ 2. heavy _____________ 3. dangerous _____________
4. small _____________ 5. large _____________ 6. light _____________ 7. rare _____________
8. common _____________
9. good _____________ 10. bad _____________


B. Correct the sentences. I’m more tall than my sister. X I’m taller than my sister. 1. Cats are popularer than snakes as pets. X _________________________
2. Pigs are more intelligent as other animals. X __________________________
3. Turtles are slow than crocodiles. X __________________________
4. Elephants are heavyer than pigs. X __________________________ 5. Bears are more rare than snakes. X ___________________________ 6. My mum thinks that cats are gooder pets than dogs. X ___________________________


27. Be going to
A. Write sentences. Use the correct form of going to.
Example: Sally / not / invite Mark to her party. Sally isn’t going to invite Mark to her party. 1. I / buy an MP3 player.
___________________________
2. They / not / wear jeans on Saturday.
___________________________
3. You / not / stay in Oxford.
___________________________
4. He / do an exam tomorrow. ___________________________ B. Complete the text. Use the correct form of going to. Tomorrow I’m going to go (go) to the beach. (1) I _____ (not be) with my family. (2) I _____ (meet) my friends.


(3) We _____ (play) football on the beach but (4) I _____ (not swim). (5) We _____ (have) a great time!
C.. Write questions and short answers about Jose, Eli and Rafa’s weekend plans. Simon / get up early on Saturday? Is Simon going to get up early on Saturday? No, he isn’t.
1. Eli and Rafa / get up early on Saturday?
__________________________
No, ________________________
2. Jose / play tennis in the morning? ____________________________ Yes,__________________________
3. Jose / watch a DVD on Saturday? ____________________________
No, ________________________


4. Simon and jenny / do any homework on Sunday? __________________________ Yes, ________________________
D. Correct the sentences and questions.
Example: My parents are go to meet my teachers tomorrow. X My parents are going to meet my teachers tomorrow.
1. Rob and I aren’t going wear trainers. X ____________________________
2. We going to visit my grandparents tomorrow. X __________________________
3. Is it going to rains today? X ____________________________
4. I’m no going to do any homework this evening? X ____________________________
5. What is he going to doing tomorrow? X ____________________________


6. You are going to school on Friday? X ____________________________